$10/hr foodie

a food blog for cheapskates!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Growing up I always felt passionately about feminism. I remember being 12 years old, and being appalled that my mother could say that men are physically stronger than women. It bothered me deep down, but, of course, now I have no problem with this purely biological fact. My passion for feminism was never something that I could explain because it was purely emotion based, but now that I'm older I could give you all sorts of facts and figures, and make it all delighfully logical and without anecdotes. Academics hate anecdotes.

So how do I reconcile this with my overwhelming love for baking, flowers, and the creation of a beautiful home? Easy. I have a keen understand of one of the fundamentals of feminism: choice.

I choose to knead, sift, measure, and drink tea while I wait for my dough to rise. This was my first yeast bread! I didn't let it rise quite long enough on the third, and final rise because I was impatient and excited, so it's not as glorious as it could be, but that's all part of the learning experience, and the taste was simply delicious. And those sticky buns? Holy God. Best the boyfriend and I have ever tasted. So soft, and not too sweet. My recipe came from Sherry Yard's "The Secrets of Baking." A wonderful book, and everything we've made so far as come out like a dream.

yummmm

Now I need to figure out how to post pictures from flickr to here. Anyone have any hints?

4 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Pete said…

    http://help.blogger.com/default/bin/answer.py?answer=916&topic=17

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    Be sure to check out food blod s'cool-- there is a link on the left side of my site. questions like this can be answered in full by other humans who have been in your same shoes.

    thanks for the link. you make me miss portland. I am hoping to be up there again in august.

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    Be sure to check out food blod s'cool-- there is a link on the left side of my site. questions like this can be answered in full by other humans who have been in your same shoes.

    thanks for the link. you make me miss portland. I am hoping to be up there again in august.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger katie said…

    oh, thanks for the tip! that looks super useful.

    I look forward to more Portland posts from you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home